Silicon Overdrive offers extensive Software Asset Management (or SAM), procurement and audit services limiting risk and facilitating compliance and Corporate Governance – an extensive Client reference list is available on request.
On authorization our Technicians will conduct a Device Hardware and Microsoft License Position Assessment (MLPA) including verifying devices licensing, applying Platform and Licensing EULA rules to determine compliance and review the organizations deployment processes and procedures.
- The confidential Microsoft License Position Assessment will be submitted with any determined compliance irregularities comprehensively documented to facilitate the corrective process;
- Procedural best practices will be submitted to limit further compliance irregularities;
- These assessments facilitate software asset management and insurance register management, determining license compliance risk, asset refresh cycles and procurement budgeting, and optimizing device deployment to enhance performance and user productivity.
At least a basic Microsoft License Position assessment is recommended prior to any software license corrections to limit the risk of unnecessary or incorrect corrective procurement. License Managers are available on consultation to present Microsoft OEM, PKC, FPP and Volume licensing EULA rules and licensing options to your organizations Compliance, Procurement and IT Managers.
Microsoft Licensing Position Compliance:
Three highlighted reasons that Microsoft licensing can be such an issue:
- Microsoft has some pretty stringent and complicated licensing use rules (EULA – End User License Agreement)
- Microsoft has built anti-piracy features into its later software releases. Multiple installs of the same license key code (used to activate the license), unless Open Business licenses, may result in the license giving activation errors (i.e. will not install/re-install) and may also result in a Microsoft Non-Genuine license message popping up on the device.
- The BSA has run a radio campaign with substantial monetary incentives. The BSA operates on an invoice basis to determine penalties.
For these reasons we recommend legal Microsoft licensing when purchasing a new device, and require them when re-installing a device. Please store Microsoft licensing securely, as if lost the associated device will immediately become unlicensed according to the Microsoft EULA (End User License Agreement). Please update your Insurance policy to include all Microsoft licensing installed on the associated devices.
The BSA runs a reward program offering substantial and confidential monetary rewards to individuals of up to R100, 000.00 (ZAR one hundred thousand) when the report successfully concludes with a judgment or settlement. The procedure to report an offence is simple and confidential, significantly increasing the risk of your organisation being reported.
Microsoft and/or the BSA may elect to list your organisation in the Public Domain exposing your organisation to negative publicity that may negatively impact on tenders and business relationships.
Basic Microsoft Product License EULAs:
License Managers are available to simply discuss, or manage your organisations license requirements, and on consultation compliance when licensing on the Server Platform in a standard or virtual environment – an extensive Client reference list is available on request..
Silicon Overdrive offers extensive Software Asset Management, procurement and audit services limiting risk and facilitating compliance and Corporate Governance.
Microsoft Windows 7 OEM/DSP/COEM/PKC license: can downgrade version N-1 with the exception of Starter Edition, Home Basic and Home Premium, cannot transfer license to another device, outright purchase.
Microsoft Windows 7 Retail/FPP License: can downgrade version N-1, can activate license a maximum of 3 times, but can only be activated on 1 device at a time, outright purchase
Microsoft Office 2010 OEM/DSP/COEM/PKC license: cannot downgrade version, cannot transfer license to another device, outright purchase.
Microsoft Office 2010 Retail/FPP license: cannot downgrade version, can activate license a maximum of 3 times, but can only be activated on 1 device at a time, outright purchase.
- Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2010 Retail/FPP license: cannot downgrade version, can activate license a maximum of 3 times on Home devices, can activate license on up to 3x Home devices simultaneously, outright purchase.
- Microsoft Office Home and Business Edition 2010 Retail/FPP license: cannot downgrade version, can activate license a maximum of 3 times, can activate license on 1 Mobile device and 1 Desktop device for the same user simultaneously, outright purchase.
Microsoft Open Business Volume license: can downgrade version as per product EULA, can transfer license to another device, volume license and key facilitating administration and deployment, outright purchase.
Open Business with Software Assurance:
Microsoft Open Business Volume license with Software Assurance (SA): can downgrade version as per product EULA, can transfer license to another device, volume license and key facilitating administration and deployment, outright purchase.
Open Value Subscription:
Microsoft Open Value Subscription (OVS) licensing is a company-wide agreement entered into with Microsoft over a 3 year term, can downgrade version as per product EULA, can transfer license to another device, volume license and key facilitating administration and deployment, 3-year fixed US$ price subscription license agreement with Software Assurance (SA), tru up or tru down licenses on annual anniversary, agreement allows for additional licenses to be activated between the annual anniversary, after first 3-year term the Client has the option to buy out (own the licenses).
Open Value Subscription (OVS) is a low cost easy way to license all the latest Microsoft software via one simple three year rental agreement. OVS is specifically designed as the optimum licensing solution for companies with 5 to 250 desktops. At the end of the three year agreement customers have the choice to extend the agreement, buy out the software or discontinue usage.
- Open Value Subscription lets you pay only for what you use, reducing your costs in the years that you are not using the licenses.
- Significant savings in year one for transition from current licenses (N or N-1 versions).
- No additional cost on company-wide licenses added during the year.
- Only pay for what you use—ability to adjust device count up or down each year.