What is SharePoint? SharePoint empowers your team with the needed tools to power through projects and maintain productivity. Learn more about the platform.
Why Microsoft Teams Might be The Right Solution for You
Microsoft Teams is a communication platform developed by Microsoft and is part of the Microsoft 365 product family. The platform is primarily used for chat, video calls, file sharing and storage, application integration, and more.
No matter your industry, we all need certain tools to help make collaboration with others simplistic and efficient. This is where Microsoft Teams comes into play.
What is Microsoft Teams?
What Microsoft 365 Plan do you Need to Access Teams?
Users have a choice to use Teams for free or as part of their Microsoft 365 plan. If you already have a 365 plan in place, then Teams is already included.
Microsoft Teams (Free)
Includes online meetings (both calls and video), however, cannot record meetings
Allows a maximum of 300 participants (Originally 100 but Microsoft has extended the limit during COVID)
Maximum number of users: 500K
Includes web versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Doesn’t include apps like SharePoint, Stream, Planner, or OneDrive
Doesn’t include single sign-on to all Microsoft 365 apps and services
Includes administration tools for managing users and apps
Microsoft Teams (Premium)
Includes online meetings (both
calls and video). Users can record meetings
Allows a maximum of 300 to 10,000 participants (depending on the chosen plan)
Maximum number of users: 300 – 500K (depending on the chosen plan)
Includes web versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and includes other apps like SharePoint, Stream, Planner, or OneDrive
Include single sign-on to all Microsoft 365 apps and services
Includes administration tools for managing users and apps
What are the Benefits of Teams?
Microsoft Teams Allows for Greater Collaboration
Microsoft Teams is the perfect tool to ensure smooth collaboration between you and your team with instant messaging, video/audio calls, recordings, and more.
With Teams, you can:
With Teams, you can have meetings with 10 people to a thousand. No room is too small as meetings in Teams are held in a virtual space, called Microsoft Teams Rooms.
In meetings, you have some great features including:
- Screen Sharing – This feature is great if you want to show attendees a new feature or when presenting your ideas to a potential client.
- Recording – Unfortunately, you have to manually start recording a meeting as it’s not an automatic setting without the use of third-party applications.
- Instant Messaging – Have a conversation while in a meeting via the chat feature.
- Share Meeting Agenda – When inviting members to a meeting within Teams, you can share your meeting agenda, ensuring everyone knows what to expect.
- Invite External Guests – You can have meetings with external guests, not just with people inside your organisation. They can join a meeting in their web browser without needing to download Teams.
- Access Notes & Recordings – Easily access notes and recordings from previous meetings whenever you need them.
- Start Meeting with One-Touch – Simply start a meeting with the click of a button.
- Video – With Teams, you can use the video feature and blur the background with intelligent technology to minimise background distractions.
- Live Events – In Microsoft Teams meetings, you can host large meetings, company-wide events, presentations, and webinars for up to 10, 000 attendees.
Work From Anywhere
Working from home? Microsoft Teams has the features you need to be able to work remotely, as long as you have an internet connection or mobile data (if you’re working with the Teams app on your smartphone).
Tips for Using Teams for Remote Workers
- Use the “join” option to allow remote workers to join meetings easily.
- Use the video feature to interact face to face. This can add a bit more connection than simply talking to a blank screen.
- Ensure remote employees are keeping up by taking a break and allowing people to ask questions or share thoughts.
- Record the meeting for those employees working remotely who cannot attend the meeting right away. They can watch the meeting later or go through the transcript. This is a great feature when you have company training and have employees working in other provinces or locations.
- When working remotely, it’s easy to miss the small things, like having a chat in the kitchen when making coffee. Check-in on employees over a quick call or via instant messaging.
- Make them feel included. It can be isolating when working remotely, so ensuring everyone is included whether it’s a brainstorming session or a quick meeting.
- Have some fun by running mini competitions within Team groups, or sharing fun facts. This will help build team morale and hopefully create positive atmospheres.
Simple File Sharing
There’s no need to struggle to find a file sent via email anymore.
With Microsoft Teams, you can easily access and edit files shared within a channel or chat. Files shared within Teams are stored on SharePoint.
You can access the Files tab at the top of each channel.
Other apps include:
According to Telkom, “Telkom’s wireless service is more reliable than its copper-based technology and is less susceptible to interruptions as a result of adverse weather conditions, faults and cable theft.”.
How to Make and Receive Phone Calls with Teams
Microsoft Direct Routing
With the Microsoft Direct Routing method, employees are able to make use of existing phone numbers in the Teams Phone System to make and receive phone calls. This method includes a dial tone.
Features included in Teams Phone System:
- Group call pickup
- Shared line appearance
- Customer support – Ensure customers are answered or routed to the right queue with call queues and cloud auto attendants.
Microsoft Calling Plans
By adding Microsoft Calling Plans to Teams, employees can easily make and receive calls. The plans come in various sizes, which all depends on the number of minutes your company needs.
More call features include:
- Cloud voicemail
- Call Park
- Music on hold
- Consultive transfers
- Monitor calls in the Teams admin centre
Get in touch with our team
to discuss plans
Eliminate Unnecessary Internal Emails
Reduce internal emails flooding your inbox by making use of the instant messaging option available in Teams. Features include emojis, @mentions, GIFs, stickers, and likes.
Eliminate Unnecessary Internal Emails
How Do I Share a File in a Channel?
Method 1: By selecting the paperclip icon located within the chat, you can upload files.
Be careful when selecting this option as there will be a duplication of the file, making it difficult to keep track of changes.
Method 2: Move the file from your OneDrive account to Microsoft Teams. This method won’t create duplicates.
With Microsoft Teams, you are able to have conversations in groups or one person at a time, allowing for more privacy for those sensitive topics.
Top Apps and Features to Use in Teams
Microsoft SharePoint is a web-based collaboration platform primarily used to create websites or an intranet. The platform has a few benefits including centralised administration, customisation, document management, application integration, enhanced security, etc.
The Wiki in Teams is a smart-text editor where teams can share notes in a structured way. Users can store processes here, company rules, and keep the company CI (Corporate Identity) saved here to ensure uniformity across all designs.
Can’t decide what to do for the year-end event? Or need to choose a topic for next week’s company training? Use Polly. The app allows users to take part in a poll right there in the chat.
Trello is a web-based list-making application created to help you organise and keep track of tasks.
Users can create tasks (called cards) and set due dates, assign members, add comments, checklists, and more.
Planner is another project management app developed by Microsoft.
Whatever your choice for project management, both apps are integrated with Teams.
Skype for Business Coming to End of Support Soon - Microsoft is Going All in with Teams
If you haven’t heard, Skype for Business is coming to the end of support in July 2021. Many employees still use Skype as a form of communication within the company or when communicating with clients.
Why is Skype For Business Being Replaced by Microsoft Teams?
Read more about
Microsoft Secure Score
5 Tips on How to Effectively use Teams in Your Organisation
1. When you are away from your computer, set your status to “Away”, “Be Right Back”, or “Busy” to ensure your team knows they cannot reach you at the moment.
2. Create different channels for various purposes like “Software”, “Marketing”, or “Technical”. Just make sure you choose an appropriate title.
3. Record Teams meetings to refer back to the conversation if you forget or your notes aren’t in-depth enough.
4. Need to finalise a project but all the group message notifications make you lose focus? Mute the group or chat. Simply hover over a chat/group, click on the three dots, and select Mute.
5. Pin your most-used apps on the left menu bar to easily find them.
@mentions – Mentioning someone in a chat via this method, will allow the person to receive a notification that their input is needed in the conversation.
Kahoot! – Kahoot! is a game-based learning platform which hosts user-generated multiple choice quizzes for your whole team to take part in.
Microsoft Planner – A task planning application developed by Microsoft.
Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) – A technology that allows you to make voice calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analog) phone line..
Third-party applications — A software application made by another manufacturer that is not included in the software program.
Get Teams with Microsoft 365
Microsoft Teams empowers your team with the needed tools to communicate and power through projects. Speak to our Microsoft 365 consultants to learn more about the powerful communication platform.
If you liked this, you'll love these...
For small to medium businesses, Microsoft 365 Business Voice is a cloud-based VoIP phone system that allows you to make and receive calls via the Teams app.
Would you like to modernise your business meetings and completely transform the way you do business? With Microsoft Teams Rooms you can.